Going on a first date is tough. It's nerve-wracking and awkward, but it can be fun if you do it right! Here are five tips for men looking to have the best possible first date:
3 Things To Do before the date:
There are a few things you can do before your first date to make sure you have the best possible experience. First, try to relax and not get too nervous. If you're feeling anxious, take some deep breaths and remind yourself that it's just a date.
There's no need to put any pressure on yourself. First dates are exciting and the experience should be enjoyable. They might not be your ideal partner, but every date you go on will build confidence for the next (if you do it right).
- Take some time to think about what you're looking for in a partner. What qualities are most important to you? What kind of relationship are you hoping for? Having a clear idea of what you want will help you find a better match. Remember, It's not a job interview so try and avoid those heavy questions.
- Make sure you look your best. Choose an outfit that makes you feel confident in yourself. Make sure your hygiene is up to scratch. Put on some cologne, check your nose and give your teeth a good brush. You want to look like the best version of yourself.
- Be sure to arrive on time. Nothing puts a damper on a date like being late. If you're running behind schedule, call or text your date so they know what's going on. This is not the time to play hard to get.
By following these tips, you'll be sure to start the first date off right.
What to wear on the date:
Choosing the right outfit for a first date can be tricky. You want to look your best, but you also don't want to look like you're trying too hard. A good rule of thumb is to dress one level up from what you would normally wear on a day-to-day basis.
Think to yourself for a moment, If you're going for a casual walk together would you wear a suit? Of course not. If your outfit doesn't match the settings it comes across as weird.
Another thing to keep in mind is that first dates are often more casual than people think. So, even if you're going to a nice restaurant, there's no need to break out the suit and tie. Just be sure to avoid anything too casual, like shorts or a t-shirt with offensive language.
In general, it's best to err on the side of being too dressy rather than too casual. You can always take off a jacket or tie if you feel like you're overdressed. But if you show up in shorts and a singlet, you might not make the best impression.
What not to say on a first date:
There are a few things that you should avoid saying on a first date if you want to make a good impression. Too many times guys will come in hot and start ticking off their 'requirements' in a partner. Let's tone it down a bit and show a little bit more of your personality.
Avoid is talking about your ex. I can't stress this enough and you should avoid bringing this up at all costs. This will make your date feel like you're not over your past relationship and that you're still thinking about them. If you feel the need to bring up your ex then maybe you're not ready to start dating again.
It's also important to avoid talking about any controversial topics, like politics or religion. These topics can easily lead to arguments, and you want to keep the conversation light and fun on a first date.
Leave out any drug talk. Your date may be anti-drugs or have someone in their family that struggles with addiction. No first date will like someone who brags about how high they got on the weekend.
Try to avoid saying anything that could be construed as negative. This includes complaining about your life, a death in the family, illness etc. First dates are not for pity, so stop playing the violin seeking sympathy or empathy.
Finally. On a first date, it's all about setting a good impression and showing your date you have a personality. Keep the conversation light-hearted and think of a few questions to get them thinking instead of the same old 'What are your hobbies'.
What not to do on a first date:
There are a few things that you should avoid doing if you want your first date to go well.
We've covered this before but it's worth mentioning again. DON'T BE LATE. This will give your date the impression that you don’t care about them and it will set a bad tone for the rest of the date. If you're more than 5 minutes late you might as well throw in the towel.
Don't be a conversation hogger. You have two ears for a reason, meaning you should talk half as much as them. Listen to them and let them finish what they are saying.
Don’t drink too much. It’s fine to have a drink or two on a first date, but getting drunk is a surefire way to ruin the night. Especially if you can't handle your alcohol. Not only will you embarrass yourself, but you’ll also make your date feel uncomfortable and it will be harder to connect with them on a personal level.
Lastly, don’t try to impress your date by bragging or showing off. This will only make you come across as arrogant and self-centered. Be humble. Be yourself and let your date see you're actually a nice guy.
Picking Your First Date Location
When it comes to picking your first date location. There are a few things to take into consideration.
- Pick somewhere convenient for your date. This means you shouldn't make them drive all the way to you because you cannot be bothered traveling to them.
- Keep the first date casual. You may think they want a fine dining experience and an entire day planned out, well they don't. For first date ideas, click the article here
- Keep it short and sweet. There's a chance the date might not go well and if you've booked in a three-course meal you're going to be sitting there awkwardly for a while.
Overall, the best tip for men going on a first date is to relax and be yourself. Don’t try to be someone you’re not, and don’t put on an act. Just be genuine, honest, and friendly. If you can do that, then chances are the date will go well and you might even get a second one.